A couple of weeks ago, I was preparing for a girl’s weekend and was pondering some ideas for fun chats and conversations we could have together. We don’t get to see each other all together very often, so I came up with a fun idea called “The Gratitude Chat” with 16 questions that would cultivate gratitude and get us in the mood of being grateful for the big and small things in our lives.
I love the quote by Oprah Winfrey that says, “Be grateful for what you have and you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”
Over the years, I have kept a gratitude journal, but recently have committed to writing down 5 things daily that I am grateful for in my life. It’s such a wonderful way to start the day in a positive way. And, we all know that when we hit the pavement in the outside world, that it can be harsh and cruel these days. Setting our heart in the right place first thing in the day will ground us and keep us focused on the good.
I’d love to share my 16 questions with you….things for you to ponder yourselves or in a group of friends or family. You could also take 16 days to journal about each questions if you’d like.
The Gratitude Chat
- How is your life different today that it was a year ago? Why are you grateful for those changes?
- What is one opportunity that you have been afforded in your life that you are most grateful for?
- Who is someone that you are grateful for who has bad a huge influence on the person you have become?
- Have you ever experienced a traumatic or challenging event that changed your whole life course? When you look back, what can you be grateful for about that event?
- What are you most grateful for this week?
- What are you most grateful for that you have learned about yourself in this past year?
- What is the simplest thing in your life that you are most grateful for?
- What is something difficult that has happened to you that you have come to look back upon and be grateful for?
- What is something that you are grateful for that hasn’t even happened yet?
- What is a personal goal that you have accomplished recently that you are grateful to yourself for sticking with?
- What is a relationship you have in your life with someone that you are grateful for?
- What choices have you made in the past five years that you are most grateful to have made?
- What book are you grateful to have read that has been most inspirational to you?
- What is something small and seemingly insignificant that someone has done for you recently that you are very grateful for?
- Have you ever experienced a scary event in your life that quickly turned out okay and you were so grateful for the outcome?
- What is a piece of wise advice that you have received in your life that you are continually grateful for?
Have fun and enjoy this with your loved ones and friends!